Sunday, July 24, 2011

The will...the power...the willpower!

This morning I thought I would spend some time talking about one of my favorite things-FOOD!  I love food...all different kinds of food.  This is a pretty big obstacle for me.  I love to cook it. I love to eat it. I even once wrestled in it (college ramen noodle wrestling oh yeah!). It has been a good friend to me through good times and bad.  I didn't always have enough as a kid which makes me think I over compensated a little bit when I actually got to be in a house that always had food around.
We went to a movie last night (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2) where the biggest temptation food lies...movie theater popcorn *drool*.  We opted for no butter flavoring which was a good choice but then we also also got a large soda.  I like to think that in the overall scheme of things it really was more of a treat than anything else (and I did have 8 points left although I am positive I went over with the soda) but it was still a bad choice.  If anything I should have thrown my water bottle in my purse LOL. 
I will say though that I think I did pretty good.  I cut myself off after a bit because I felt a bit full and really watched the entire movie itself sans popcorn.  We then went out for a quick drink before heading home where I made another really good choice-I had a Mike's rather than a daiquiri.  If you know me, you know that this was a big deal for me.  I am not a big drinker by any means (a big part of my past prevents me from going that way) but I do enjoy certain wines and daiquiris.  If I go some place and they have daiquiris that is what I am drinking :o)
Ok, enough about food willpower, on to exercise willpower.  This morning I experienced the same thing that I experience just about every morning-the desire to stay in bed.  I am pretty much a morning person.  I wake up feeling generally well rested and wide awake. So, why do I want to stay in bed?  I have a bed that I feel is extremely comfortable and a cozy quilt that keeps me nice and warm.  When that alarm goes off I open up my eyes, shut off the alarm, and think, "Ahhh morning...ugh that means I have to leave this wonderful bed..."  I do not feel tired and sleepy, I do not desire to hit snooze and wake up later, but I also do not desire to leave my cozy bed.  I have become accustomed to laying there for 5-7 minutes soaking up every last ounce of comfort before exiting but it still doesn't make it easy to leave that bed.  I would say sitting up and putting my feet on the floor is the one thing that takes the most willpower from me on any given day.  I could just stay there and read a book!  Thankfully, I don't.  I haul my butt out of bed and usually have a smile on my face by the time I face the bathroom mirror, because, while I hate leaving my bed, I love greeting the morning.  It was another beautiful morning for a bike ride, and it gives me the willpower to leave that bed behind!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love food too... obviously since I have a blog dedicated to it. Steve and I have been trying to eat healthier for awhile now. We do really good for awhile and then fall off the wagon. Then we get back on the wagon for awhile and then fall off again. I've just accepted that it's something we do. As long we get back on the healthy eating wagon, I think we're doing ok. My employer has a wellness program that I participate in which has spurred some healthy changes for us. I'm still working on getting in shape though.

    ReplyDelete