Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday Update

We had a nice little thunderstorm last night which I appreciate because it was no longer raining this morning.  I went for the new usual ride (with the extra quarter mile on the end).  I had planned on starting at my ending point on the trail but I guess I wasn't quite awake because I forgot and didn't remember until I was getting on the trail in my usual spot.  It was a rather uneventful ride-just dark, calm, and relaxing (HA! I said exercise was RELAXING!).
Since today is Monday I weighed myself again.  I now weigh 186.8 which is down 2.4 pounds from last week. My total weight loss since I have been blogging is 5.8 pounds.  It may not sound like a lot to many people but it is a lot to me.  I know how hard I worked at exercising and eating less and eating better so I am perfectly happy with my numbers thus far. 
I prefer to weight myself only once a week because I expect the numbers to be small which makes it hard to see much progress from day to day.  I don't want to get discouraged by what seems like a lack of progress so I weigh myself less often.  If I have learned anything from my occasional tune-in to Biggest Loser it is that you can work you a** off all you want but it doesn't always mean that you will see that in the numbers.  DO NOT get discouraged.  It is really important to keep yourself motivated to stay on track.  Just because the numbers don't drop (or don't drop fast) doesn't mean you aren't getting in better shape and doing something wonderful for yourself.  All too often we want to lose weight and we want to lose it NOW.  We are a rather impatient society. That doesn't mean that you have to be impatient...have patience with yourself and your body-you know how hard you have worked so don't beat yourself up if the scale doesn't recognize that.
A year after my oldest son was born I worked hard to lose weight over the course of a school year.  I lost, on average, less than a pound a week.  I wasn't discouraged though because that less than a pound a week equated to 30 pounds by the time the school year was through!  I was incredibly happy with those numbers but I recognized that it takes time.  I didn't gain the weight over a couple weeks so I shouldn't expect it to be gone that quickly.  Give yourself a break...you can do it...have patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment